Saturday, February 20, 2010

Give Me a Home..

Well, I've been around the world again. Not quite, but I've notched another two countries on the belt (please keep an eye out for those little patch flags for my bag). I'm ready for home.

It was a great break and other than the remaning activities in Alexandria and Cairo, there's not much more to tell.

We did get to visit the great Biblioteque Alexandria, the effort of rebuilding the city's former glory. They've done a bang up job of it, we were very impressed. They have some really exciting digital library projects going and have a machine that can digitise any book in 5 minutes. Fully reproduced and ready to go. Amazing stuff for the future of books and the digital world.

They have an internet archive that has documented internet pages and their changed from 1996 and takes up almost 4 perabytes!

I asked the guide what the budget of a facility like that was, and she said ''I can't be sure, but I think it's about 85000 Egyptian Pounds''. The exchange rate indicates that's about 20000 aussie bucks, she's either gravely mistaken or we could learn a thing or two from the Egyptians about accounting!

That's probably it for this round of linguistic adventures and cultural faux pas'. Catch you next time I try to take on the world!

Sent from my glorious e71 which is most definitely not an iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment